By ANNA SHUR-WILSON
Value Village: it’s the gold standard of all things secondhand in Canada. But sometimes shopping your local store can be as challenging as finding Blackbeard’s buried loot. Avoid getting lost with our handy secret treasure map!
1. Thrift the day away: both of the Montreal Value Village locations are huge, and awesome finds can be pretty well hidden. So be prepared to spend a while searching for steals – and grab some friends so you can all laugh at the fashion don’ts you’ll find.
2. Stick to the accessories: if you’re a thrift store newbie, focus on vintage bags and shoes. Cute finds abound in these sections, so you won’t get discouraged when you’re just starting out. Value Village also has a great book and record section, so check that out too.
3. Bring a belt: when you’re ready to move onto clothes, make sure to bring your favourite belt with you. Since size can vary drastically from item to item, it might be up to you to cinch the garment into shape.
4. Go unisex: we suggest checking out the men’s section for oversized sweaters and hip blazers.
5. Get creative: Value Village is the perfect place to pick up cheap, wacky fabrics or to try out out-there trends for cheap (how do you think hipster girls started the “boyfriend blazer” look?). So always remember to shop with an open mind.
2033 boulevard Pie-IX
4906 rue Jean-Talon Ouest