By ERICA LEIBNER
Sneaky, albeit smart, advertising has led us to buy (literally) into the notion that we need a billion different products in order to properly care for our bodies and homes. Truthfully, though, the job can get done just as well by using ingredients we already own. Here are some of our wallet-friendly faves:
- Cleaning your bathroom only requires 3 ingredients! Baking soda, white vinegar, and water, with the option to add lemons, if it floats your bubble-bath boat. To get started, wipe the sink and bathtub with a damp cloth and baking soda (which makes a great polishing powder that won’t damage enamel). Then use a diluted solution of one part vinegar and one part water as a cleaning spray.
- Cucumber contains a hefty dose of vitamin C and is highly cooling and moisturizing. So don’t be shy – place a slice over each eye and lay down after a long day. Only your cat will see you.
- Olive oil isn’t just for cooking – it also makes the best conditioner. Even John Masters (infamous beauty guru) says so! He suggests using only organic extra virgin olive oil to deep condition & massage into your scalp.
- Green tea is all the rage right now for good reason. It is antioxidant-rich, anti-inflammatory, anticarcinogenic, and protects skin from harmful UV radiation & skin cancer formation. By boosting your moisturizer and sunscreen with pure green tea extract, they’ll last longer and work better.
- Use coconut oil on your hair and coconut butter on your skin. It is a quick, easy, and fool-proof way to stay moisturized and smelling fabulous.
Got your own DIY tips and tricks? Share away.
Photo Credit: David’s Tea